A secure employer for generations
EVVA has always remained a family business throughout its long history. This means that in addition to the necessary profitability, we always try to be a very reliable employer who provides stable and secure employment relationships in good times and in turbulent times. "Put people first" is our vision in human resources - especially in times of increasing digitalisation. Networked thinking and understanding the perspective of others are central prerequisites," says EVVA owner Nicole Ehrlich-Adám. In the stakeholder dialogue and in the employee survey, "employee satisfaction" has been defined as one of the most material factors of the company.
The economic and social impacts
In the past, a company could choose from many job applications, but today the supply is smaller. Especially in technical professions, but not only. Regardless of whether it is trade, hospitality, transportation, infrastructure - practically every industry feels the shortage of personnel. Even the security industry. The baby boomer generation is retiring, society is getting older and birth rates are declining. The number of people of working age is expected to fall by 10% by 2040 (source: https://www.agentur-jungesherz.de/hr-glossar/fachkraeftemangel-deutschland-analyse-definition-zahlen/).
Without skilled workers, no company can meet the current and future challenges. For example, the aviation industry announced that it was laying off a lot of personnel during the pandemic, which is urgently needed again, but has now looked for other jobs. Companies that are committed to their employees, especially during times of global crisis, can better face the shortage of personnel.
Countering the labour shortage with high employee satisfaction
The top-rated companies with low turnover, such as EVVA, provide a suitable environment to feel comfortable. But what are the most important satisfaction criteria for employees? According to a recent study (lifeCREATOR Study 2022), they are secure jobs, a good work atmosphere, trust in personal abilities, and generally trust-building measures. Another, often underestimated aspect that emerges from the study: "Employees wish for leaders who make them feel that they are personally important to the company."
EVVA tries to cover these criteria in the best possible way, which is confirmed by the very good satisfaction ratings and the very low staff turnover in the company (more on this later). Of course, EVVA is also feeling the international shortage of labor. However, with the high job stability already proven in many crises, in-house training and development, and award-winning apprenticeships, a reliable and shared value system typical of family-run companies, with a family-friendly, flexible working hours, and much more, our company can maintain its status as an attractive employer. The respect for human rights, which has gained a special significance in the new GRI Universal Standards, is evident in our company and there have been no violations of any kind (more on this topic under Compliance).
High overall employee satisfaction
EVVA has traditionally had high levels of employee satisfaction. In the last major employee survey at headquarters in 2020, the overall satisfaction factor was rated very good at 1.6 on a six-point scale. The same value that was achieved in the penultimate survey in 2016. This is better than the benchmark, i.e., the satisfaction levels of employees at other comparable industrial companies, as surveyed by external polling company pluswert.
86% of all employees participated in the survey, a very high international value for internal satisfaction surveys.
Nicole Ehrlich-Adám: “The results show a picture even before the exceptional situation of the coronavirus. It reflects the EVVA mood and not one influenced by external crises. The very high participation rate of 86% of all employees is also well above the benchmark.” EVVA CEO Stefan Ehrlich-Adám adds: “The mood and camaraderie in the company has been and remains high even during the pandemic. The solidarity is enormous and a daily incentive for us.“
One reason for this is also the very good cooperation between the works council, management, and the employees, which was also clearly demonstrated during the coronavirus pandemic in 2020/2021. The (crisis) communication is effective and professional. Minimum notification periods are not included in the collective agreements, but the employees are immediately and timely informed about all changes in the company through various communication channels.
A survey was also carried out in 2017 at the second largest EVVA location in Germany (Krefeld and Leipzig) with around 150 employees. The overall satisfaction factor of 2.0 on the six-point scale is good, but there is room for improvement until the next survey.
To maintain the high overall satisfaction levels of the employees or even improve them by the next survey, EVVA must address the themes that were only rated average, around the value of 3 on the 6-point scale, in the employee survey. These include:
- Stress/time pressure/workload: Further steps in digitalisation will bring higher-skilled jobs to the production, for example, and reduce monotonous work steps. In addition, EVVA analyses all company processes in detail to identify and eliminate duplicate responsibilities or unnecessary processes. More on this under digitalisation and quality
- High Potentials: EVVA is doing a lot to not only retain long-serving employees but also to attract highly qualified staff. There is intense competition for the best junior staff, especially in the tech/software area. EVVA is working more closely with external recruiters, approaching appropriate educational institutions directly, and testing new ways in employer branding
- Cooperation: Although this factor was rated good overall, it is significantly worse in a few departments than in others. Here, the management team has examined the need for action and set specific improvement initiatives, such as organisational changes in departments or the introduction of new dialogue and exchange formats
- The employee survey in Germany also revealed that resources for further education, motivational incentives and knowledge exchange between departments need to be optimised at this subsidiary.
Stability and job security
Our company has secured and created new jobs even during economic crises - such as in 2008 or during the coronavirus pandemic since 2020. In recent years, EVVA has had the following number of employees:
Employees EVVA Headquarter
Number of employees by gender and employment relationship, EVVA headquarter in Vienna. All employment relationships are indefinite (except for interns). In addition, EVVA employs around 25 temporary employees per year (15 in R&D, 10 in production).
Amount of new employees EVVA Headquarter
Employees EVVA Group
Satisfaction as an economic lifeline
Satisfied employees are the prerequisite for satisfied customers, trading partners, and all other stakeholders. If one lacks a positive relationship with their own company, they will not be able to or want to represent the company well. At EVVA, a very positive interrelationship is evident, as shown, for example, by the likewise very appealing results of the last trading partner survey (more details under customer satisfaction).
Low staff turnover and high competitiveness
Satisfied employees remain loyal to a company for longer. At EVVA, the annual fluctuation rate is generally very low, in 2021 it was only 5.07%. The fluctuation rate of all companies in Austria is 11%, according to a Deloitte survey, and 22.5% according to Statistic Austria for the economic sector "manufacture of goods" (available figures for 2020). This means that the fluctuation rate of EVVA is well below the national average, and it retains the diverse knowledge that makes EVVA a specialist company. As a result, the cost of recruiting and extensive training is manageable. Low staff turnover and comprehensive training increase the competitiveness of the site.
Staff fluctuation at EVVA
Women and technology
EVVA hires according to qualifications, not gender quotas. However, we set important societal impulses to increasingly interest women in technology. For example:
- Annual Daughter Days, where girls between the ages of 11 and 16 can get to know the company and technical professions and work in the workshops themselves. More under top apprenticing company
- New profession of security technician, which is specifically targeted at women. In addition, in recent years, EVVA has participated in talent days and retraining initiatives. More under top apprenticing company
- EVVA uses dialogues and company tours to show schoolchildren how exciting a technical profession can be. More under sustainability starts at school
- Self-produced videos with EVVA technicians who talk about their tasks in research & development, mechanical engineering, etc. They are valuable role models and inspiration for internal and external female applicants.
Different work schedule models
Around 44% of the employees at the EVVA headquarter are women, a promising value for a technology company. To allow women - like men - to better reconcile family and work, EVVA offers different work schedule models.
Number of parental leave / care leave:
Parental leave/Care leave, EVVA Headquarters. All have returned to EVVA after leave and remained.
Info breakfasts and info cafés are held several times a year at all EVVA locations. The management personally informs about EVVA's current challenges and strategies. The special feature here is that employees can ask the management difficult questions in a relaxed, informal atmosphere over coffee and cake, they get an answer immediately. They can also bring in their questions via a table speaker. Topics that are close to the heart can thus be clarified first hand.
These benefits/privileges apply to all employees at headquarters (full-time and part-time) during the reporting period. They are additional pieces of the puzzle contributing to the high satisfaction. Company benefits are also offered to employees at other EVVA locations.
- In-house canteen with chef. 3 menus to choose from every day (incl. vegetarian options). The prices are supported, EVVA covers approx. half of the costs. In 2017, the canteen was relocated and redesigned: with more generous space, new bright seating areas and a cosy atmosphere (see photo).
- Health lectures by specialists directly in the company. Since 2015 on the topics such as women's health, men's health, dealing with pain & self-help tips, with medicine in the middle – how TCM can help us, No Smoke – tips for quitting smoking, dealing with headaches & migraines.
- On-site health care. EVVA’s company doctor is available to answer medical questions for several hours a week – also by phone during the coronavirus crisis. They not only provids information, but also measure blood pressure, administer vaccinations, issue prescriptions and referrals for specialists, and treat minor injuries and wounds.
- Strength and endurance training directly in the house with an external fitness trainer. Twice a week with individual support (back, abdomen, cardiovascular system). EVVA covers two thirds of the course fees
- Vaccination campaigns throughout the year (flu, FSME). EVVA covers the costs of treatment and for the flu vaccination.
- Internal education and training platform. Find out more under EVVA Academy
- Participation in running events. EVVA encourages employee participation in running events, such as the international Wings for Life Run, Vienna City Marathon, Night Run Wienathlon and Zoolauf. The company covers the start fees and provides t-shirts. EVVA budgets between €6,000 and €8,000 per year for this.
- New since November 2021: 50% travel allowance for all employees. EVVA covers half of the travel costs for public transport, making a valuable contribution to climate protection as public transport is more environmentally friendly than private motorised transport. And the employees save a lot of costs
- Own library with 653 professional books for easy borrowing. In addition, free access to an online platform with over 8,000 e-books.
- Herbs and vegetables can be planted and harvested in the company's own raised beds on the EVVA rooftop terrace.
- Other benefits:
> Annual shopping vouchers at Christmas, organic eggs at Easter, doughnuts at carnival, apple sack in autumn
> Free coffee at the vending machines and refreshments in the summer
> Various discounts at local businesses
Events for employees:
> RepairCafé since 2022: The EVVA RepairCafé is a new networking and sustainability initiative within the company. "Repair instead of throw away" is its motto. The first event focused on the topic of "bicycles". An experienced employee presented which maintenance and repairs are easily done by oneself and what to look out for: changing tires, patching tubes, cleaning and maintaining chains, fixing problems with brakes, which tools belong in the bike bag, etc. Colleagues from various EVVA divisions took part and many brought their own bikes. Since 2022, EVVA management has provided all EVVA cyclists with a service and repair kit (air pump, multifunctional tool, repair kit, etc.) - to further encourage the use of the bike for the commute to work.
> In autumn 2021: Opening ceremony of the new EVVA annex in Vienna and the new branch building in Tišnov (Czech Republic) - with tours, raffles, coffee mobiles and much more.
> The last EVVA Family Days took place in Krefeld and Leipzig in 2019 and in Vienna in 2017 (awarded with Event Award by WEKA Industrie Medien) - a big joint celebration with all employees and their families and friends at EVVA. In the participation stations, children and guests were made aware of sustainability and the UN SDGs (e.g., via the SDG video for children, via plant tours to the clean production machines, etc.)
> Several large anniversary celebrations to mark EVVA's 100th birthday.
> Summer festivities, Christmas parties, World Kindness Day with espresso mobiles and free gourmet coffee
Fulfilment date: by 2024
How: The last large employee survey at the headquarters with over 450 employees took place in early 2020 and the next one is planned for 2024, that is, every 4 years. In Krefeld, the second largest branch with around 150 employees, it is also being planned.
Positive effects: The comparative values from all surveys (first conducted in 2016) show EVVA where the company’s strengths and weaknesses lie from an employee perspective and the potential for optimisation. Our goal is for overall satisfaction to remain high and range between 1.0 and 2.0 (on a six-point scale).
How would you like to share?