Our recycling strategy
As a manufacturing company with a high material input and output (all input-output listings under Recycling & Resources overview), it is our declared environmental policy to use raw materials sparingly and to recycle them as far as possible. EVVA’s recycling quota in relation to total material use has remained fairly constant at 66% in recent years. We recycle various materials, including:
Our metal chips (mainly brass), which is produced during the processing of EVVA locking cylinders, is 100% recycled – and has been for many decades! They are melted down by the supplier and returned in their entirety to the production process.
This recycled metal swarf accounts for around 25% of our total demand for metal. The other 75% become finished EVVA products.
Metal swarf recycling per year
Internal packaging/reusable pallets
Internal packaging accounts for 20% of all EVVA packaging. EVVA transports the semi-finished parts (i.e. cylinder housings, plugs) via a reusable pallet system to subsidiaries and to larger sales partners. This eliminates the need for any additional packaging.
The advantages of EVVA reusable pallets (see photo) pervade all sustainability categories:
1) Economics Transport is cheaper and safer (no scratch damage as is possible with metal pallets). The production robots can pick the workpiece directly from the reusable pallets, which was not possible with the conventional containers
2) Ecology: EVVA has increased the proportion of reusable pallets in its total internal packaging since 2015 from 40% to 80%. Unfortunately, the target of 100% reusable pallets that EVVA set itself in the last sustainability report could not be achieved. Nevertheless, the increase enabled us to achieve savings of a further 6,000 kg of packaging per year
3) Employees/Social aspects: The conventional metal containers weigh approx. 30 kg. Our reusable pallets weigh only 9 kg – making them easy to transport without the risk of injury
These account for 80% of all EVVA packaging. Since 2017, EVVA has been using product packaging in sales that is made of 100% environmentally friendly, recyclable cardboard and not plastic/polystyrene.
Only overpacks (for protection during transport) are still made of synthetic material/plastic.
- Cardboard is more affordable to dispose of; there are cardboard collection containers everywhere. No special disposal locations are necessary
- It is also more affordable in production (savings of approx. €33,000 per year)
- Low storage costs, because the basic package is always the same. The product is identified by means of attractively designed label and sleeve
- Plus: The packages stack well and save space
In total, EVVA reuses around 30% of the total packaging quantity (this includes internal packaging and sales packaging for all product categories).
In the course of their life cycle, EVVA receives around 10% of the products returned via trade partners and its own subsidiaries. These are dismantled and wherever possible the parts are reused or melted down.
More information about our measures to reduce paper consumption under Waste.